Monday, December 29, 2008

Our Christmas Miracle

So I know it has been awhile since a blogged but I haven't really felt up to it. I was having a hard time getting in the Christmas "spirit" this year. Just as I was finally feeling it and all excited for the big day I got an unusual phone call. A manager was calling from Smith's Marketplace to tell me that my father-in-law was there having severe chest pains and they had called paramedics. Long story somewhat short: they took him to the small local ER could not determine the cause, admitted him, ran more tests, next day moved him to new, better hospital, ran more tests, determined he had an aortic dissection (small "tear" in par of aorta), had to do risky open heart surgery to save his life, 4-6 hour surgery turned into over 12... At one point they said he was not going to make it. They said they would unhook all the machines they were using during surgery and clean him up so we could say goodbye. WHAT!?!?!?! As we waited and waited wondering what was taking so long my in-laws bishop said I bet Bob will surprise us all and fight his way. I wanted to have faith in what he said but couldn't. Then one of the nurses let us know that he was doing better and they were going to continue to work on him. WHAT!?!?! A another couple hours and the surgeon informed us he was still alive and fighting. The surgeon said he was 3 minutes away from giving up when something they tried got his heart working again. They had to leave his chest open and he was kept completely sedated for a week. He seemed to take 2 steps forward, 1 back, 1 forward, 2 back, 1 forward, 2 forward, 1 back and it has been very scary, sad, happy, spiritual, so many different emotions. They closed him back up on Friday and we have been waiting for him to really wake up. Today has been the best so far. He seems to be responding to questions and moving a little more. I think it will still be a long road, but Bob is alive and here with us, he is our Christmas miracle this year. We love you Bob, keep fighting!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is a story of touch and go. I am glad that he is fighting and so far still in the game. Our prayers are with you all.

Unknown said...

Carly- I had no idea! Let me know if I can do anything to help (I know it is a little late) Love you guys!

Angie Helm Interiors said...

Wow, an aortic dissection? That is really scary. Glad to hear that he is making progress. Keep me posted.

Rachel said...

Oh Carly, reading this was like going through the first few days with my dad. I'm glad our old guys are fighters, they prove even the best doctors wrong. Be patient with his recovery, hold his hand, rub his feet, just let him know through touch that you love him. I know that is what meant the most to my dad, that we weren't afraid to show him through touch that we didn't see him as broken after his stroke.