Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Lucky Brother

I just got home a little bit ago from Provo. I got a call this afternoon from my dad (he & my mom were on there way home from San Diego and in Las Vegas with my sister Sara) that my brother Devin had fallen at work (he is a framer) and was at the hospital and having trouble with his memory. I was worried about him, but also worried about his wife, Karissa. She is a school teacher and I knew she would probably be very freaked out when she found out and I didn't want her to be alone at the hospital so I headed down to Provo. I wasn't sure the extent of his accident or injuries until I arrived. WOW! He is so lucky/blessed! He and a coworker were on plywood on a lift about 20 feet above the ground when the plywood broke. My brother fell forward and hit his head on the lift (steel!) before falling to the ground and landing on his head and back. He was knocked out and they called an ambulance to take him to the hospital. He needed stitches above his left eye and after xrays and cat scans they decided to do surgery as well. He fractured his skull just above his left eye so they will be repairing that. He should recover just fine and be ok. His friend broke one ankle, sprained the other and sprained his back. They are both very lucky that they were not hurt worse. Devon looks like he got in a fight and I only took pics with my cameraphone. I will have to take more later, which is probably better anyway. I am sure after surgery he is going to look even tougher!
The funny aspect of this story is that Devin gets hurt quite often. Usually at very inoppurtune times like sisters' weddings and such. With him it always seems to be a close call to being a lot worse than what he ends up with. My one sister asked him tonight if he was a cat....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So lucky! And so scary.