Monday, July 06, 2009

The Road to Hana

On Monday my sister in law took my niece and her friend over to BYU Hawaii for EFY so the rest of us rented a Jeep and went on the Road to Hana. We took the top off and headed out and it started raining. We kept driving and after a short time it cleared up and it was beautiful!!!! I think this was my favorite day of the vacation. The road is narrow and winding, the speed limit is only 15 mph and its over 50 miles long. There are 54 bridges and over 500 curves on the road with lots of waterfalls. It was like driving through a rain forest, amazing!!!
One fun thing that happened was when we stopped at one of the little roadside vendors to eat we saw Jim Nabors. (gomer pyle from the adny griffith show) He leaves near there and was sitting enjoying his food and some company. I wish I would have taken a picture.

They have the coolest pine trees in Hawaii.

One of the many waterfalls we say that day, coming below on of the bridges.
Another bridge
There are lots of stops along the way to see things. One stop was an arboretum and we saw these amazing trees. They are called painted gum trees and come from Indonesia. They almost look fake and they were so cool!
Isn't it beautiful!?!?

1 comment:

Christy said...

Sounds like my kind of road trip, lots of camera candy.