Monday, November 24, 2008

The End of an Era


Saturday was Ry's state gymnastics meet and it did not go too well. She did pretty good but not as good as she wanted. It was heartbreaking to see my girl crying...I am not sure if it was the fact that she didn't do as well as she would have liked and was frustrated, or maybe because she didn't medal an any events, or because she knew it was her last meet. Maybe it was all of the above because she is usually so strong, then again she is my daughter and I can be very emotional...
She has been debating for a few months about quiting gymnastics. I told her it was up to her. I encouraged her to work hard during this season and then she could decide when it was over. A few days ago as I was driving her to gym she told me she had decided. She wanted to quit. She is not enjoying it as much as she use to and I think she is a little burned out. I told her that was fine if that is what she really wanted. I am glad she decided before Saturday so that it was based on other things not just that she had a bad meet.
She wants to do a tumbling class a couple times a week which is probably a good idea. That way she is still working out (her body may go into shock if she jsut stopped altogether) and doing something she enjoys. A part of me is going to miss watching her compete, it has been a fun experience. Ry we want you to know that we are so proud of you and your accomplishments in gym and school and everything else you do.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

It has to be hard to have this part of her life which has been such a HUGE part of your life, come to a close. You have got to be so proud of her...I'm excited to see what she tries next :)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience for her. She has had some good life training that she will be able to draw from for the rest of her life. WAY to go Rylee!

Anonymous said...

What a strong little girl! I think it is amazing that she made this decision, which says a lot about the kind of parents you are to empower her the way you have.

Rachel said...

I do love the picture of Rylee. It shows strength and confidence. It sounds like she gained both with gymnastics. Its just one step towards molding her into a wonderful confident teenager. She will take all that she learned into the next stage and be that much better off for it. Way to go Rylee for being a champion, your medal and reward shows in your eyes and your heart.

Stacy said...

That must have been such a hard decision for her to make. You are such a great mom! Some parents would just keep pushing their daughters to stay in it, but you know that she needs to really want to do it in order to continue. I hope she adjusts well, and is happy with her decision!