Monday, November 17, 2008

My Dilemma...

Right now we have no car payments. I love it! My van is old (96) but still looks pretty good and usually runs good. A couple weeks ago it died on me and I had to have it towed to my mechanics. It was the alternator, which was replaced just 14 months ago. So that was under warranty, jsut had to pay labor and he gave me a deal on that. I picked it up and later that day realized I had a fuel leak, there was a puddle of gas under my car. So I called the mechanic back and he said bring it back in they can look at it. Well, I called for a tow again since I was a little concerned about driving a vehicle that was leaking gas (isnt' gas flamable?). This time it was a little bigger, more expensive problem. So had that fixed and finally picked it up on Thursday. Well, Saturday we were driving to my parents and the car died. Ended up having it towed AGAIN. Thank goodness we have AAA plus! I don't think we hav used it at all the last couple years but 3 tows the last couple weeks.... Anyway, they called today and said come pick it up it's all done. I said what was it....the alternator. What? Didn't you just replace it? He said it must have been faulty, they replaced a few other things while trying to figure out the problem. Luckily there was no charge. I keep wondering is it worth no car payment or do we break down and by something new... For now we are sticking with the old. I just hope I don't see my mechanic for a long time!

5 comments:

julie said...

Oh that sounds terrible! My car is getting up there in years too. Everyday I pray that it will last at least until I am done with school.

Anonymous said...

We were facing the same thing with Carl's Saturn. The radiator cracked and then we decided to go with something newer and fix the Saturn when we'd saved enough money. We got a 2006 Honda Civic and after driving it for a few weeks, the engine block cracked. So, newer isn't ALWAYS going to be better. Oh, the money we would have saved had we just decided to stick with old reliable and get a new radiator. :)

Simi B. Cazeau said...

Sounds like were in the same boat! My little Geo Prizm has almost 223,000 and its on its last leg. I think you should wait until you get your taxes and then buy something with low miles on KSL.

Pratt Family said...

Oh no! I complete understand the delema. My 96 dodge stratus spent way to much time in the mechanics in the last 6 months. After 192K miles on it I finally had it when the quoted me repair fees of $1000. And we put $4000 into Jared's truck this year. Broke down and finally bought a mini van too. 2003 Town and Chrysler. Love it!
Cami.

Rachel said...

ugh, that really is a bummer. We aren't good at fixing things, so we usually bite the bullet and replace. You are on the go way to much to be worried about getting towed all the time. Wait until the end of December and find a bargain somewhere... most dealerships get desperate at the end of the year to reduce their inventory.