Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Crazy Week...

That is the only way I can think to describe the last week. It seems more like a few weeks has passed so much has happened.
First, my first day of nursing school. There is only one word to describe my feelings that day: overwhelmed!
Second: my fast, fun friend getaway. Katie (& Jenna) picked me up from school and we drove to Las Vegas. We stayed the night with my sister Sara and left Jenna with her. Saturday morning we headed to Tuscon to visit Rachel and meet baby Charley. It was beautiful weather, clear blue skies and about 80 degrees. We had so much fun jsut catching up and cuddling with Charley and enjoying the sun! We left Monday afternoon and stayed in Vegas again that night. Tuesday morning Sara's kids wanted to take Jenna to see the Bass Pro Shop and then we went to see Katie's dad at his Vegas office and headed home. Home to cold and yucky air. Oh, well it was a great weekend!
Third: catching up on laundry and homework. I think these are 2 things that seem like they will never end!
Fourth: LOST season premier!!!!!!!!!!!
Fifth: family meeting with the dr's to update us all on my father-in-law. That happened this morning and was both good and sad. They are prediciting 2 more weeks at the hospital and then 2-4 months at a skilled nursing facility. What? yeah we were a little shocked at the time line. They will continue to watch his fingers and toes/feet to determine how much will have to be removed. For sure he will be losing fingertips and probably part of his feet or possible legs. I think the hardest thing to hear today was that his confusion (which seems to come and go) is most likely permanent. The lack of oxygen to his extremeties has affected his brain as well. I am grateful that he knows who we all are and remembers his great stories and jokes, but it is sad to think he may never be exactly the same. One great thing today was that I was able to feed him his first meal in 5 weeks. He finally passed his swallow test (at least mostly) and can now have soft foods and thick liquids. He was so excited! I was able to feed him and sit and talk with him one on one for some time. It was great!

So that is my week in a nutshell. I will post some pics of the trip and then off to do more homework...I am hoping I don't feel so overwhelmed after classes tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow- don't forget to mention your birthday tomorrow! I love you Carly- you are one of the greatest people I know with a big heart and so much to offer. Thank you for teaching me so much.

5ofus said...

Wow what a week. You forgot to add your beautiful girl Rylee's tryouts for the school play & getting a part! Also I think you getting Jenna home was a miracle. That was a shock to me about Bob. It is hard when you get the miracle of his life but then news like that. Did you bring back any 80 sunshine for me?