Sunday, August 21, 2011

My "Band"

Cole started learning to play the electric guitar a couple years ago. Noah started on the electric bass a few months ago. Noah recently started piano lessons. Both boys are going to be in the 7th grade band, Noah learning trumpet, and Cole learning the baritone. They play everyday and listen to music on their ipods all the time. Noah has been talking about getting drums for a few months and I told him to save his money. He saved and saved, then researched and studied up on drums. He kept watching KSL for a used drum set. He would bug me all the time about taking him to look at different sets, but I always blew him off. I told him he needed to talk with someone who knows drums so he knew what to look for. He kept telling me he knew what he needed to know. He gave me a note one night telling me all the reasons I should take him to look at a drum set. The reasons included: he had the money to pay for them, he knew what he wanted and needed, he could teach himself to play, and he REALLY wanted them. I figured there was no changing his mind so we went the next day to check out an ad he had found on KSL. I was blown away when he started asking the guy selling them a ton of questions that I had no clue as to what he was talking about. I realized then that he had really done his homework and really wanted this. So, Noah paid the guy and we loaded up my van with the drum set. We got home and he unloaded them and set them up and started playing. I was feeling a bit guilty that I hadn't taken him sooner.
Cole had been saving his money as well and found a left handed acoustic guitar he wanted to buy. I took him right away. (I didn't want to feel anymore guilt).
I love that they love music and have found something they are so into. They have turned their lego room into a music room and they spend hours down there each day.



Cole playing his "new" acoustic guitar with his 2 electric guitars in the background.


Noah with his dream, finally!


My boys playing their song together. I love that their interests allow them some individuality as well as giving them time together. I also love hearing the music coming from my basement each day. I don't even have to remind them to practice.



No comments: