Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Lockdown!

I was at home this afternoon, studying and listening to Jenna and her best buddy, Braden playing in the other room when a friend stopped by. She informed me that our kids school was on lockdown and that there were cops (from 5 different cities) everywhere by the school. For a split second I panicked, then tried my best to remain calm until I got all the facts. I guess there was a robbery at the drug store near the school and the suspect got away, so the officials (cops, principal) took the approproprate action to protect our children. It was nearing the end of the school day and we were wondering what would happen when the phone rang. It was a recorded message from the principal informing us of the situation and the fact that we had to check our kids out from their classrooms with picture ID. I was so worried that my kids were scared and panicking, but as I arrived at each of their classrooms I was greeted in a normal fashion, they were each just glad school was done for the day. I was able to relax knowing they were fine both pysically and emotionally. I am grateful to faculty and teachers for keeping their cool and following guidelines and protecting my babies.
On a funny note, I called Mike to tell him what was happening and he asked if this meant that he finally got to wear his green hat and vest from our CERT training. (for those who don't know what I am talking about; sorry, too long to try and explain it.) I laughed and realized another blessing today: A husband who knows what to say and when to say it to help me destress.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would have been a little nerve racking! Sounds like everyone handled it with calm, cool, and collective ease.
Go green hat!

Amy said...

i'm glad everyone was okay and that the kids took it in stride! i think kids have a great way of doing that. the less they know, the better. i hope the guys over at OD are okay though! how scary for them. they're so small-town and it worries me. i just love those guys; they're always so great to me!

Sara B said...

I have the story from the drug store end if you want to hear it. Glad the kids were okay!

Rachel said...

Yes, tell what happened to the drug store. That poor little store, who would steal from those nice old people?
Mike, I love it that you are ready to take your CERT training into action. A man that is prepared never fears!
I'm glad it all worked out, ahhh so much to be worried about these days.