Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cancer Sucks!!!

7 months ago my sweet sister--in-law, Gayle, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She fought, but that damn cancer won this fight. She passed away early yesterday morning. I saw her about a week before, she was in the hospital and had met with hospice people that day, but she was looking pretty good. So when my mother in law told me on Monday that it would only be a couple days, I didn't believe her. Then I went on Tuesday to see her and hit hard with bad memories. She looked so similar to how Brandon looked the last few time I saw him (hours before he died). I had to leave her hospital room and couldn't hold back my emotions. Cancer Sucks!!!

I went home and told the kids that Aunt Gayle was not going to get better. Jenna wanted to make her a get well card, she thought that might work. The boys were worried about how you get cancer. Then Noah asked why I would want to be a nurse if people die. I told him about Gayle's nurse that day that had been helping her die in peace without pain. I don't know if I am ready to do that yet...Then Cole said the prayer that night and blessed Aunt Gayle and he asked that Kevin, Heidi, and Melissa would be ok after Gayle was gone. I almost started crying again.

I didn't find out she had passed until I was gone for the day and so the kids didn't know until after school. I was dropping the boys off at home so I could run to Rylee's game and Noah ran back out and asked if he could use my phone real quick. I asked him what for and he said he wanted to call Uncle Kevin to tell him he was sorry about Aunt Gayle. Wow...again tears started to flow.

I don't remember losing anyone real close to me or important in my life while I was young. My kids have lost 4 family members in their short lives, 2 of those were to cancer. Cancer Sucks!!!

Here is a picture of Gayle with her girls, Heidi and Melissa, at Christmas a couple years ago. She was always quiet, but always sweet and always made you feel like she cared about you. We love you Gayle and we will miss you.


2 comments:

Christy Woolston said...

Sad news. Sorry you've had so much experience with it. Hugs.

Rachel said...

Oh Carly, tears for you and your family. Its true, your kids have learned a life lesson too young. You have been so good and honest with them, and in turn you will be able to help other families cope with loss and understanding why it happens.