Monday, April 30, 2012

The Biggest Loser



I have a friend who "hosts" a  biggest loser contest a few times a year. I first heard about the contest in the fall and thought it sounded like a fun and maybe good way to get myself motivated to finally get myself in better shape. So it all started one Saturday in January and each week we weighed in at 8:45 a.m. I joined the gym and started working out 5-6 days a week. I cut a lot of the crap out of my diet, cut back on calories, and tried to eat only healthy food. I used an app called "Lose It" to track my food and exercise. It was hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be. I have tried so many other times over the last few years to start exercising and eating better, but it never seemed to last for long. A part of me was scared of failure again, but I was also very determined this time. I don't know if it was the money I spent for the contest, the gym, a trainer, etc or the possibility of the prize money or the accountability to others or really wanting to be healthy that motivated me to stick with it, but whatever it was it worked! 

Here is my "before" picture:
 
 

12 weeks later after a lot of hard work, giving up some favorite foods, lots of sweat and tears, and losing sleep to make it to the gym; here is my "after" picture:



I lost 15.42% and won $375! I am still working out and eating less, just not quite as strictly as I was during the contest. I still have not met my final goal weight, but am a lot closer! I feel better, I like going to the gym, my blood pressure is lower, and I actually have more energy than I did before. I also don't feel like a hypocrite when I am educating my patients about eating healthier and being physically active. Definitely all worth it!!!

3 comments:

Abarca's said...

Amazing! Good Job!

Unknown said...

WOW!So great Carly. You look awesome.

Rachel said...

You look fantastic! Great job, you really are amazing I hope you know that and that your are told that often!!