Friday, October 19, 2007

I'm Back!....(almost)....

From where, I am not quite sure. I feel like I have been in some sort of funk, but in reality I think it is just a new phase of life that I am trying to deal with or adjust to or whatever. In the last month I have had lots of different experiences or events going on. First, I had fall break at school which was only suppose to be 2 days off, but I ended up with only 1 class the whole week. It was great, I got to spend extra time with Jenna (which we both desperately needed). We went to the zoo and played lots of games. Her favorites right now are Dora Candyland and any memory game, which she kicks butt at. She plays with Mike's mom when she is there while I am at school and she wins everytime (and Mike's mom doesnt' let her, jenna has an amazing memory). I also got lots of extra study time in which leads to my next "event", my anatomy lab midterm practical. I have never in my life had a test like this or been so freaked out and stressed about a test before. There were 30 stations set up with 2 questions at each station and we got 2 minutes at each station. Each station had a bone or a slide or a muscle pinpointed in the cadavers, etc. Then we had to answer different questions, such as which bone structure is this, which muscle is this, what does this muscle do, what type of tissue is this, where is it found in the body, etc. We had been given a list of over a hundred different bones and muscles to memorize and I am not so great at memorizing and recalling info. from my brain. I have never studied so hard in my life and I am glad I did because it really paid off. The day of the test, I was sick I was so nervous, but when we went in and started I was actually able to recall the info I needed, I felt so relieved when it was all done and I ended up with an 85%, which I was very happy with! So after stressing over this test and another test and staying up until 12 or 1 everynight studying I think I wore my self out and ended up with strep last week. I don't usually get sick, especially strep, so I am hoping this is not the start of more. It's funny because when I was going to college the first time (right out of high school) we stayed up later than that all the time (not usually to study) and I was fine. I guess maybe old age has something to do with it or maybe the stress level is a little higher now than way back then. I have to actually want to do well in school and have to really study to do so.
Anyway, we have been trying to spend more time together as a family and as a couple. We went up the canyon one night and roasted hot dogs and marshmellows, we went to the planetarium, and we have been playing more games together. It has been great! This week we went to dinner with family and friends to "celebrate" my brother Brandon, who died 2 years ago from colon cancer. Today we are going to the airport to witness the arrival of my cousin, Adam, who has been serving in Irag for the past 15 months. I am excited for the kids to see these great men, these Heroes who have been sacrifing for our freedoms. I think this "place" I have been is just life and the everday "normal" events that are part of life: school, family, friends, death, war, freedom, America. I am grateful for all of these aspects of my life and feel very blessed to live where I do and know the people I know and to be able to do the things I do. So I guess I am back, although I am not sure I really ever left.....

3 comments:

kelly said...

Wow. Do I get points for reading the whole post? That was a doozy. It sounds like you've been super busy, and while you are doing what you want...
I still miss you.
Good to hear what's going on with you.

Amy said...

carly - great post! i remember those awful tests; they were really, really stressful but you get such a feeling of accomplishment when you well, so good job. little advice: get a massage before tests. i swear it helps relieve just enough stress. i know you probably don't feel like you have enough time but at least do it before finals! you won't regret it and it'll become your lifeline!

Rachel said...

Yikes, that test sounds like a whooper! Life somehow keeps going and we just try to keep up with the pace. I'm glad to hear your staying afloat. Stick with it!