Thursday, July 03, 2008

Our Health


My baby, isn't she so sweet!

I have been to 3 different doctors appointments this week. One for myself, one for Rylee, and one for Jenna. I have been having intermintent chest pains and difficulty breathing. I ketp putting off calling the Dr. but finally decided I better have it checked out. My EKG was normal and so was all my blood work (they checked for lots of things) so now I am wearing a little heart monitor for 2 weeks. I am suppose to wear it 24/7 except when showering or swimming and any time I feel my syptoms I push a button to record for a minute or so. I started wearing it on Tuesday and have had no syptoms since I have had it on, go figure. Anyway, we will see what it says. Ry unfortunately has plantars warts on her foot and a little bit of athlete's foot. I am sure it is due to the fact that she never wears shoes and is at the gym 12 hours a week. I just hope the plantars worts will go away, from what I understand they are a little tricky to treat. Jenna had her appointment with the pediatric cardiologist to see about the heart murmur her Dr found at her 5 year check up. I feel very blessed to live so close to such an incredible children's hospital like Primary's. I love how they treated Jenna as well as Mike & I. She had an EKG like I did. She also had an Echo (an ultrasound of her heart). She had to lay there for 1/2 an hour or so and was so good. They let her pick a movie and she laid back and watched while I sat and watched the "movie" of her heart. To me it was all very interesting. I am glad I recently finished my anatomy and physiology classes so that I understood most of what the Dr talked to us about. I was also able to listen and could hear her murmur which sounded like water running over rocks in a stream, weird. She has PDA (patent ductus arteriolis) which means that one of her ducts that she needed in utero never fully closed off. Her left atria is also a little dialated from working a little extra. She is going to have a procedure done on July 22 to fix it. They will go in with a catheter through an artery in her groin. They will then "drop off" a tiny coil that will close up her little hole. It is an outpatient procedure so should not be too bad. I am just grateful they can do it that way instead of surgery. I see lots of sick people working at the ER and feel very blessed each day for my family's health. I also feel very blessed to have health insurance (even though Ithink that whole system needs an overhaul) and wonderful facilities and dr.s right here in our backyard.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad everything is going to be ok. It is hard when are kids are sick for sure! And I still can't believe they just found that murmur!

Anonymous said...

Plantars warts can be really hard to get rid of. A couple years ago, I battled them for a long time. My dermatalogist finally had me wear this patch that you wear until it starts to itch and then take it off. It is supposed to be some kind of vaccine for the virus that causes those warts. My doctor did try three other options before finally settling on the vaccine. My mom, sister and I have all had that vaccine and haven't had warts since. Something to at least ask about if Rylee has a hard time getting rid of her warts.

Amy said...

Wow Carly! I hope all goes well with you and Jenna. I think Rylee will live but I hope her warts go away soon. Those are so painful. I had a few when I was a kid.

Heidi Sue said...

Sounds like you have had a fun week. I hope that everything goes ok. I am glad that they will be able to fix Jenna's hurt murmur. I also hope they can find out what is going on with you. Let us know

Anonymous said...

Wow - you've been busy! I have something similar to what you've described. It's called "intermittent tachacardia" (basically - this will happen to you "every now and then" and we don't know what else to call it but you're otherwise healthy!) The monitors always seemed to "cure" it for me as well - I would get to record a few episodes over a 2 wk period but nothing like what you experience without the monitor! It's like going to the dr. - once you get there, you aren't really sick!! Good luck - let us know how things go.

Anonymous said...

Wow Carly! A busy week. Thank goodness, truly, for doctors. Let us know if there is anything we can do. Give your sweet kids hugs. I hope we can see each other soon, lets just plan something.

Rachel said...

You're amazing! As I was reading your blog I couldn't help but think how amazing and smart you are with all the medical lingo. Nursing is definitely for you. I'll be sending Jenna good vibes. She a tough little cookie!

kelly said...

WOW. I didn't even know this was going on.
I didn't understand most of that medical stuff you wrote about but it sounds like you are confident that everything will be fine.
I'm glad for that.