Monday, November 08, 2010

The Countdown continues...

5 weeks from tonight I will studying for my last final in nursing school. In 39 days will be my graduation. It all seems so close, yet sooooo far. Today I had my first of 3 clinical days in different ICU's at IMC. It was a good day, I was feeling very overwhelmed and unprepared, but it was all good. These same feelings creep up on me when I think about whether or not I am ready to be a nurse. The nurse I worked with today said something that hit home to me. He said he felt like he learned "nothing" in nursing school and clinicals. He said you get your clinical hours done by following nurses around and doing some hands on stuff a few times but you don't really learn how to be a nurse. Then you get a job and they train you and you get to do tons of hands on over and over and see the same meds or issues over and over and then you know. He said he hated his job the first 6 months he was a nurse and that it took him over a year to really feel comfortable and 3 years to feel like he really knows what he's doing. Our conversation made me realize I need to quit doubting my self and learn what I can where ever I can and that it will all be ok. Where ever I end up working I will learn and I can be a good, no a great nurse!

3 comments:

Melanie Posell said...

I'm not a nurse but I come from a family of them! My mom and sister both new what it took to pass the boards and then get a job. In fact if you ask them questions about certain things like Materal/fetal medicine that they haven't studied since school, they can't help much! You get in and learn what you do every day and you get great at it! You will be a great nurse. You have compassion and that's one of the most important things along with the knowledge. I know I couldn't be a nurse. Good for you. I'm way excited that you're almost done!!

Unknown said...

You will be a GREAT nurse. I am so excited for you. You CAN DO IT!

Tiffany said...

You get an "A" in stick-to-it-iveness :) What an incredible accomplishment, your family is so blessed to have you :)