Thursday, February 21, 2008

My Day

Today was an overall ok day.
I took Jenna to the pediatric urologist which was a lot better than I thought it might be. She thinks Jenna is suffering from Extraordinary Urinary Frequency. It's basically something that happens to previously potty trained children for no apparent reason. One possible cause they think is stress, but I can't figure any stressful life changes in her life right now. It has a definite start and stop. It can last from a few weeks to 18 months. They have found that medicine does not help, the best medicine seems to be distraction. So we are trying this for a few days and if we don't notice any real change then we will get an ultrasound. The Dr. sent me home with copies of a couple recent studies that have been done on this condition and I think Jenna really fits the profile. She has no pain, no fever, no UTI, no rash, no noticable physical syptoms beside the urge to urinate. Tonight she only got up 2 times to use the bathroom before she went to sleep and she actually went both times. I hope this is the problem and that we can get her back into her old habits soon (I really hope it does not take 18 months). I am feeling good about it, much better than I was feeling before the appointment. I was trying to prepare myself for the worst, so this is definitely made me more relaxed and hopeful.
We got home from her appointment and went to pick up a prescription for Mike who we think has strep. We also got yummy sandwiches and soup and cookies from Cutler's.
Then we went to get my tires rotated and my oil changed. Have you been to the new Firehouse Carwash at the Jiffy Lube? They have a fun little interactive kids play area, complete with controls that allow them to spray brightly colored soap on the cars as they go through the carwash. Jenna loved it! (I had fun too).
Then I got some studying in while helping the boys with their homework and spelling words for Jenna to write. That is her new favorite activity: she asks me to tell her how to spell something (ie. I like school, I like the Jonas brothers, her teacher's name), and then writes it down. She calls it her homework.
Tonight the boys and I went to their cub scout Blue & Gold Banquet. Their favorite part was seeing the pinewood derby cars one leader has made throughout the years and getting their own pinewood derby kits. They have big plans for their cars. It will be fun for them to design, build, and paint their cars with dad. They are soooo excited for Mar.15. I am just glad they are enjoying cub scouts (thanks to their awesome leaders!).
Mike just left to see an old friend who is visiting from CA, I just made popcorn, and I am going to watch my recorded episode of LOST!

2 comments:

Heidi Sue said...

I am glad that she is ok, but still that is frustrating. You wish you could make everything better, and you can't. If there is anything I can do let me know.

Sara B said...

Glad to know it is nothing real serious with Jenna and we hope she gets better real soon! We miss you!