Monday, May 26, 2008

Family Reunion, Day 3






Sunday afternoon we all (78 of us) headed to Pine Valley, about 40 minutes northwest of St.George, to see where some of our ancestors helped settle. We went to the cemetery first to see where many of our ancestors are buried and to hear stories about there lives that were filled with sacrifice after sacrifice. My mom, my cousins 5 boys, my grandma, and others shared stories. My mom had my Grandma and Grandpa stand about 30 feet from each other and asked us how we could connect them without moving them. We all made a huge circle and then my sister's kids sang Come Come Ye Saints. It was a very powerful experience, one I will never forget, and I hope my kids will remember it as well. We headed to the church next to have a tour and hear some more history of the area and our family. My mom said she had no pictures of Harrison Burgess and was so excited to see one hanging in the church, as well as one of one of his wives, Sophia. More family members shared stories about these great people and my cousin who spent a year in Iraq shared some stories with us about that. My family is awesome! There are 93 total (if I figured right) from my Grandparents, there kids and spouses, and grand kids and great grand kids. 78 of us were there and felt of the great spirit of each other and our family members gone before. We are very blessed to have freedom and religion and the necessities of life. Thanks Mom for planning this incredible reunion, especially this day. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for being examples of love and unselfishness. Thanks to all my aunts, uncles, and cousins for your love and kindness. What a family we are!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds so spiritual and informative. It is so amazing to share those family times- priceless.

Amy said...

Carly - you're so lucky to have those sites so nearby that you can go visit them without too much trouble! It sounds like that reunion was so much fun and I'm sure it left an impression on the younger generation too. I hope someday to travel overseas with Natalie to show her where she's from.

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing! What an incredibly family you all are? Can Lane and I and the kids be adopted...?

Take care and see you all soon, hopefully.