Sunday, May 04, 2008

Parents Support

Yesterday as we were getting ready for the day and trying to figure out who had to be where and when I got upset with Mike. He wasn't thrilled about Ry's competition being right in the middle of a beautiful Saturday afternoon. They last a few hours and Ry only competes a total of about 10 minutes so it makes for a lot of sitting around. The other kids were very restless at the last meet and didn't really want to go and blah blah blah....
As I was thinking about it later I realized why it made me so upset. When I was growing up and involved in sports my parents were always there! There are 7 kids in my family and we all played one sport or another and my parents were always there for each of us. I remember in Jr High (we lived in ID and traveled a couple hours for some of our games) riding the bus to our games, pulling up to the different schools, and seeing my parents car in the parking lot. It was a comfort having them their cheering me on. I remember them driving to Rangley, CO (I believe it's about a 5 hour drive each way) to watch my brother, Brandon, play Jr College basketball. I remember going as a family to Steamboat Springs, CO for my little sister, Krista's, soccer tournament. I could go on and on. I always appreciated them being there for me, the support and encouragement were incredible. Now as a parent of an athlete myself I realize why they were there. They loved me and enjoyed watching me and being there for me. I know it was not always convenient and probably got a little old sometimes, but they were there regardless. They were even there yesterday supporting Ry in gymnastics and they have been to many soccer, football, basketball, and baseball games of their other grandkids. I am so grateful to my mom and dad for making us and our kids their priority in life. THANKS MOM AND DAD!!! I know it's not enough and long overdue, but again THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, I think that is why I was so upset because I want Rylee to know how much we love her and support her even though we are busy and could be a million other places on a Saturday afternoon.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So true. My mom was always at all of my sporting events too. I noticed yesterday at Savannah's last soccer game that Ryan was the only dad that made it to all of her games. I am glad he puts in that effort.

Aislinn said...

Carly - I know what you mean too! My dad was a single parent and he went to every swim meet that my sister and I had - regardless of the distance! Now looking back some of my best memories are at those events supporting each other - that's what family is about!

Anonymous said...

You are an incredible and loving mom, sister, and friend. Lane has always said you were one of the nicest most caring person he has ever crossed paths with and I totally agree. Your kids will always know that they have their parents support, you wouldn't have it any other way.

Anonymous said...

Carly I so agree with you. I think of all the hours we put into our kids sports & acting & we could be doing a lot of other things. It has been so important to Nate & I to be @ their play practices & we stayed @ the set for all the filming of the movie. No other parent was there. We do it because dad & mom were such great examples & I still cannot figure out how they managed to stretch themselves out amongst all of our different activities but I grateful that it was their #1 priority. Rylee is lucky to have a mother who makes it her #1 priority also.